DrainageDrain cleaning services by Mr. Swirl will prevent clogs for years to come. Often clogged drains are caused by years of buildup, slowly choking your pipes with sludge, hair, grease, and soap residue. Learn More
Have a clogged drain?
We have on-call plumbers available 24/7
We’ve been providing high-quality, dependable plumbing and professional drain cleaning services throughout Greater Vancouver and the Fraser Valley since 1999.
Drain cleaning service will prevent clogs for years to come. Often clogged drains are caused by years of buildup, slowly choking your pipes with sludge, hair, grease, and soap residue.
Symptoms such as water pooling in the tub or a rotting smell in a kitchen drain can develop slowly over time, making it harder to know when your drain is about to clog. Our drain cleaning services will ensure you’re not left with a system backup and expensive repairs. We don’t just clean your kitchen or shower drains, we offer sewer drain cleaning services as well.
For drain cleaning services from licensed and friendly technicians, give us a ring at (604) 435 4664
Drain Cleaning Services
At Mr. Swirl The Friendly Plumber, we have more than 24 years of experience serving the plumbing needs in Greater Vancouver and the Lower Mainland.
We provide a high level of quality for all our clients, and we are ready 24/7 to handle whatever jobs you may need.
- Emergency drain cleaning services
- Clogged drains
- Drain cleaning
- Preventive maintenance drain service
- Hydro Jetting
- Sewer system backup
- Sewer line repair & replacement
- Backflow prevention device replacement and installation
Upfront price. No hidden fees!
Friendly, professional technicians
Standard safety protocols
Fully licensed & bonded
Locally owned & operated
All your popular questions answered!
How often should drains be cleaned?
We recommend cleaning your drains at least once a year to prevent clogs and buildup. However, the frequency of drain cleaning may vary depending on factors such as the size of your household, the type of pipes you have, and your usage habits.
Most common signs for the clogged drain are:
- Slow draining water
- Foul odors
- Gurgling sounds
- Water backups
- Fruit flies or other pests
If you notice any of these signs, it is important to clean your drains promptly to prevent further damage to your plumbing system. Try these 4 affordable methods to unclog your drain at home before calling a professional plumber.
How to avoid clogged drains?
- Dispose of grease and cooking oils properly: Do not pour grease or cooking oils down the drain as they can solidify and cause clogs. Instead, let them cool and dispose of them in the trash.
- Use drains screens: Place drain screens in your sinks and showers to catch hair, soap, and other debris before it enters the drain.
- Flush drains with hot water: Once a week, flush your drains with hot water to help dissolve and wash away any buildup.
- Avoid putting non-degradable items down the drain: Items such as wipes, sanitary products, and dental floss do not break down easily and can cause clogs.
- Use a garbage disposal properly: Do not put hard or fibrous foods down the garbage disposal as they can damage the blades and cause clogs. Always run water while using the disposal and avoid overloading it.
- Schedule regular drain cleaning: As mentioned earlier, scheduling regular drain cleaning can help prevent clogs and maintain the health of your plumbing system. If you need a professional, Mr Swirl is 24/7 available to unclog your drain at the most affordable rate
How long it take a plumber to clean a drain?
In general, a plumber can typically clean a drain in anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours, depending on the complexity of the job. For minor clogs, such as those caused by hair or soap scum, a plumber may be able to quickly clear the blockage with a plunger or a drain snake.
The most common reasons for a clogged drain are:
- Congealed soaps
- Food residues
- Coagulated cooking fats or oils
- Tree roots
- Collapsed or broken pipes
This process for easier clogs like hair or soap can typically be completed in under an hour. For more severe clogs, such as those caused by tree roots or other debris, the cleaning process may take longer. A plumber may need to use more advanced techniques, such as hydro jetting, to fully remove the blockage. This process involves using high-pressure water to blast away the clog, and can take several hours to complete.
It’s also important to note that the time it takes to clean a drain can be impacted by the type of drain. For example, a shower drain may be more difficult to clean than a kitchen sink drain, as it is more likely to become clogged with hair and soap scum. A professional plumber will be able to assess the specific needs of each drain and determine the most effective cleaning method.
CALL US for the best drain cleaning services
How do I know if my main sewer line is clogged?
We recommend looking out for these signs to know if your main sewer line is clogged:
- Slow draining: If multiple drains in your home are slow to drain, it could be a sign of a clogged main sewer line.
- Gurgling sounds: If you hear gurgling sounds coming from your drains, it could indicate that there is air trapped in the pipes due to a clog.
- Foul odors: A clogged sewer line can cause foul odors to come from your drains or even outside in your yard.
- Backed up toilets: If your toilets are backing up when you flush, it could be a sign that your main sewer line is clogged.
- Water backing up in odd places: Water backing up in unusual places such as your bathtub or shower when you flush the toilet can indicate a clogged main sewer line.
- Sudden changes in water level: If the water level in your toilet or sink suddenly rises and falls without explanation, it could be a sign of a clog.
If you suspect that your main sewer line is clogged, it is important to address the issue promptly. While there are DIY methods for cleaning a drain, a clogged main sewer line is best left to a professional sewer and drain cleaning company.
They have the equipment and expertise to safely and effectively clean your sewer line without causing damage to your pipes. Preventative maintenance such as regular drain cleaning can also help prevent clogs in your main sewer line. By keeping your drains clean and free of build-up, you can help maintain the health of your plumbing system and avoid costly repairs in the future.
Mr Swirl offer trenchless sewer line repair. Trenchless sewer line repair means we do not dig any ditches while replacing or repairing your sewer line, ensuring that your property stays as neat as possible while we work.
Is Drano bad for pipes?
I understand that one of the most common solutions that homeowners turn to when dealing with a clogged drain is Drano drain cleaner.
While this product may provide temporary relief, there are concerns about the long-term effects of using Drano liquid drain cleaner on your pipes and plumbing system.
Drano liquid drain cleaner can have different effects on different types of pipes. The harsh chemicals in Drano can potentially damage pipes made of certain materials, such as old or corroded pipes.
For example, PVC pipes are generally resistant to chemical damage and are less likely to be affected by Drano. However, older metal pipes, such as galvanized steel or iron pipes, can be more susceptible to damage from Drano. These types of pipes may be corroded or weakened, making them more vulnerable to the corrosive effects of Drano.
In addition, if your pipes are already damaged or have cracks or holes, using Drano can make the problem worse. The chemicals in Drano can erode the pipes, causing leaks or even complete pipe failure. This can lead to costly repairs and potential water damage to your home.
It’s important to note that Drano can also have negative effects on your plumbing system as a whole. If the chemicals in Drano are not fully flushed out of your pipes, they can continue to erode your pipes and cause damage over time. This can lead to more frequent clogs and blockages, as well as the need for more extensive repairs in the future.
Easy as 1,2,3
What to expect from your service call
Tell us how we can make your day better. We'll book a technician's visit and inspection, give you a flat fee and as soon as we get your approval we can start the work right away.
Our friendly, trustworthy and dependable plumbers will follow all safety protocols to keep you and everyone else safe. All our technicians are trained and certified professionals and will provide high-quality work.
Zero contact payment. We clean up after ourselves so you don't have to worry about any leftover mess. You can have a chance of winning a $100 gift card by giving us a review.