With the amount of rainfall we have had in the past few weeks, it’s safe to say that the spring rain is in full effect in the Lower Mainland for the following months. Spring rain is much more than common in the rain city that is Vancouver. Our technicians at Mr. Swirl The Friendly Plumber are professionally trained to resolve any plumbing issues that arise as a result of the heavy rainfall.
In order to protect your house from the damages of spring rain, call Mr. Swirl The Friendly Plumber to examine the condition of your house’s plumbing outdoor and indoors, and follow the suggested recommendations in order to prevent flooding and structural damages to your property.
Problems That Result from Spring Rain
First and foremost, heavy rainfall results in an extreme increase in the pressure on the plumbing pipes. This can result in extreme damage to the plumbing system of the house. Additionally, the heavy rainfall causes mud and ground to be soaked, lessening the structure of the ground with more rainfall. The mud causes the movement of the pipes underground.
The heavy rain can also cause backups in the pipes, which can also cause the pipes in the underground to shift and the shifting may even result in cracks, which is much more serious than any other issue. If the debris within the pipes gets is back up and makes its way into those cracks, it can start to leak and seep into the cracks into the storage and even the basement area of your home!
Lastly, roots! You may be wondering how come roots grew so close to the pipes. To answer that question, it is important to realize the pipes running underground may carry waste or clean water, but some of those content contain nutrients that are released and that are absorbed by the surrounding roots. These nutrients help these roots grow into stronger and thicker plants.
These roots would eventually begin to grow into outside underground pipes. and with the cracks from rain movement, they further crack the pipes and cause more damage in a short period of time. It’s highly recommended to call a Mr. Swirl friendly plumber to come to check the condition of the underground pipes outside your house after these heavy spring rains.
Furthermore, a sump pump is often installed to prevent basement flooding when there is a large amount of heavy rainfall in an area. However, the life span of a sump pump is only a maximum of seven years, and if it isn’t replaced, it is highly likely to fail.
The only way to have peace of mind is to have a battery backup pump system set up for the sump pump to lower the chance of it failing. High precipitation causes the floor to be extra soaked and wet, while the ground underneath is still thawing out, these excess waters also find a way into the foundation of the lower levels of your house, and potentially cause flooding, damage, and mold.
In addition, heavy rainfall causes movement around the foundation of a house, which can cause cracks. This can cause leaks underneath the foundation of the house which can cause even worse consequences such as repair of the foundation and foundational plumbing of the house.
General Tips For Spring Rain
- Clear debris and dirt from the surrounding drainpipes of your house. The obvious rule of thumb is to check your roof and look within the house after heavy rainfall. More importantly, check the condition of the position of your downspouts. Clean them using necessary tools, and water to achieve a clean system.
- Checking electrical connections to ensure no water has made its way to the electrical system of your house. If you see any standing water, turn off the power at the breaker box to avoid electrocution. Have an annual sump pump inspection before a failure occurs. Be proactive and pay attention to the plumbing system of your house.
- Tidy and trim the trees and greenery near your house, including dead branches, bushes, and flowers. To avoid them making their way into your plumbing system.
- Lastly, install a premium gutter system to avoid spring rain damage and protect your pipes from the impacts of heavy rainfall.
When To Replace Your Sump Pump To Prepare For Spring Rain?
- If you notice water surrounding it the sump pump, meaning it can’t process and pump the water fast enough.
- If you hear the sound of running water when the pump is not working, and it’s turning on and off quickly. the float value may be on its way to breaking.
- Additionally, sump pumps do not last more than 7 years, and in the worse case, they fail when they get older.
- In case of a power outage, sump pumps now often come with a rechargeable battery backup, and overall battery-powered sump pumps are also available. Water-powered backup pumps are connected to the water line in the basement and use the pressure to take the water out, like a pit vacuum.
Mr. Swirl is here 24/7 to make your day better. Give us a call at 604-435-4664 for all your spring rain-related issues and concerns, and all your other plumbing needs. You can also visit our website if you live in Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge, Surrey, Langley, Port Moody, Burnaby, Mission, or New Westminster to book your plumbing services today!